• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 housedoc

housedoc

Devoted Member

• Concept Factory
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:47 AM

:whistling2: Hi everyone just thought you might be interested in having a look at the small coffee table I did last week for the person here in Spain that I did all the wardrobe doors for etc. Silly me I was that interested in doing it that I forgot to take a picture of the 'before' but it was in brown wood. He brought it all the way from England for me to do and he said it was just stuck up in the attic. At least he can use it now. It is going in his lounge, but I have told him to purchase some glass for the top to protect it more from wear and tear :) He hasn't seen it yet - I deliver it this Thursday cos I am also taking him some fabric swatches to have a look at cos he probably wants 4 windows curtaining in his lounge/dining area. If I get the job I will also let you have a look at them when I have finished.

Anyway comments on the table would be appreciated - good or bad :)

Attached File  Manny__s_Faux_Marble_Table.jpg   165.85KB   37 downloads

Attached File  Manny__s_Faux_Marble_Table_2.jpg   164.88KB   39 downloads

Advertisement

#2 Deco

Deco

ARTTRADE.NET

• Admin
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

Think it looks great Denise :) very glossy :whistling2:
sorry we can't see the "before" photo but I'm sure the table looked rather
simple in comparison with what you've done, now it's charming. :)
Client will definitely love it :)
MyPaintings.Info - My web site
Fashionchat.info - Fashion Blog

#3 housedoc

housedoc

Devoted Member

• Concept Factory
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:32 AM

:) Thank you Deco :) I know I could kick myself when I forget to take the 'befores' :whistling2:

#4 Helz

Helz

Lady-knight

• Concept Factory
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

Excellent Denise, you have got a beautiful marble effect on this. How many coats of varnish do you put on? H x
"CREATE......INSPIRE......SHARE"

http://helzbelzart.com

#5 Deco

Deco

ARTTRADE.NET

• Admin
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:09 AM

Hope you won't forget to take some 'before' and 'after' photos of the windows you'll decorate :whistling2:

#6 Neo_Art

Neo_Art

ARTTRADE.NET

• Admin
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

I know I could kick myself when I forget to take the 'befores' :)

How did you forget Denise! :) Now you must redo the table :whistling2: :)

Btw, I see your site decorativeideas.co.uk is back online :)

#7 Stickmaker

Stickmaker

• Art Guru
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

Hi HOUSEDOC , I think you're pretty good at this sort of thing. The table looks really nice ,what about giving us a" talkthro "of the preparation, process, and time it takes to do something like this . Should you do so let's hope Mrs Stickmaker dosn't come looking over my shoulder , she's a big enough list already !!! :whistling2:I am retired now ? Regards Stickmaker

#8 Helz

Helz

Lady-knight

• Concept Factory
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

Stickmaker, you should do what my brother does..........make a bad job of the first items on the list, and miraculously the list doesn't get any longer!! H x
"CREATE......INSPIRE......SHARE"

http://helzbelzart.com

#9 Denisejart

Denisejart

Advanced Member

• Art Guru
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

exellent work Denise !

#10 housedoc

housedoc

Devoted Member

• Concept Factory
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

:cheer: Hi Helz at the stage you see it here it is not varnished - but I only put two on. I have advised the owner to put glass on the top though cos it does save it far better - especially when they are using it as a coffee table. I use artists oils on it and have a special brush which actually 'polishes' it up as you are working. :)

Thank you DeniseJ :)

B) Thank you for the advise Neo - you may slap my wrist now :lol: I know decorativeideas.co.uk is back online - god knows what went wrong with this :manoyes: :cheer: I don't think it was my week !! :lol:

:) Hi Deco - no I won't forget as I have already taken the before ones of the windows when I was doing his wardrobe doors etc :) I shall be out all day tomorrow again chatting with them to see what they would like and I also have to take the swatches back that I picked up today :) so busy busy B)

:) Hi Stickmaker - thank you for your comments. OK I will try and talk you through :) ;)

Stage 1 - is to 'prime' the piece of furniture you are working with - I put three coats of this on which being such a small piece of furniture can get done in one day but larger furniture and more pieces would probably take two days. I have to leave this primer to dry overnight.

Stage 2 - I put a 'base coat' of 'eggshell' on - sometimes it will be white or sometimes it will be cream - all depending what type of marble effect I want - as you know there are loads and loads of different marble effects. This particular table I used cream. Then you leave this overnight too.

Stage 3 - I put a coat of 'liquid clear' or 'marbling glaze' (which ever I have to hand) which must be applied using a lint free cloth - this is so the oils can 'move' and gives you extra 'working time'. You use whatever colours you think looks good - perhaps something that will blend with something in the room that it is going to be in. I use a slightly damp 'sea sponge', to 'dab' the paint in 'clouds' across the surface to create a rough 'W' shape and will perhaps use about three different colours - say a 'mid-tone, a 'pale-tone' and a 'darker-tone' mix these colours with the liquid clear or marbling glaze.

After applying these three different colours I use another crumpled lint-free rag and use a light patting and twisting motion to blend the colours together, leaving some of the sponged tecnique visible, but introduce a fragmented shape with rag. This gives the finished marble added texture. Then I look at it and pick out the darker glaze and wrap some lint-free rag around the end of my thumb and using the end of my thumbnaile, run the rag through the glaze in 'vein' shapes. I wriggle and fidget my thumb as I move through the blaze quite randomly. The lines must not be too straight and formal.

Then I use a Hog Softener and 'tickle' over the vein lines very gently, with the tips of the bristles working in a 'cross-hatch' motion over the surface and soften some areas more than others to vary the appearance of the depth of each vein or 'pattern'.

Then I pick up one or two other colours - only using a minute amount and dip (like a signwriters brush) into both these colours together but not blending too thoroughly as the brush will depsoit some of each colour randomly giving a more natural appearance. Hold the signwriter's brush like a conductor's baton, not like an artist's paintbrush. The object is not to create a controlled line. Roll and twist the brush slowly from side to side, at the same time follow some of the other lines you have created and use 'shaky movements'. Then you 'soften' again - some areas more than others. So every stage of putting some colour on you soften each one just gently passing over the surface with the tips of the bristles only slightly brushing the surface to softly blend the colours together.

Finally when you are satisfied with the finished look you use a Badger Softener this is the final softening and this actually 'polishes' the surface and obliterate any previous brush marks.

So - just to get this marbling effect can take you about 2 hours just on this small table !!!

Well I hope I have explained this enough for you and Mrs Stickmaker WILL get you having a go B) Naughty Naughty me ;)

#11 Stickmaker

Stickmaker

• Art Guru
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

Hi housedoc , I think you did a real good job of that table. I would be very pleased and proud myself to achieve something like that .Oh IF only i had more time to spare :) I would love to have a go at it , and present a finished object to the light of my life :manoyes: . On a more serious note that was quite an interesting "talk thro" and i enjoyed the reading of it very much , thanks very much :cheer: . I don't think Mrs S will be asking me as she knows i can't keep up with the list now any way ;) . Best regards Stickmaker

#12 housedoc

housedoc

Devoted Member

• Concept Factory
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

:cheer: Ah..... thank you Stickmaker - glad you found it interesting - I think sometimes when I try to explain things to people they get 'bored' cos it is quite a long process. But to me it is something that I thoroughly enjoy doing but it is a bit 'long winded' to explain. :manoyes:

Actually I always say you never know what you can achieve until you try it. So I would say to anyone - have a go - you might well be very surprised at the results :) and I bet Mrs S would be delighted if you tried. Get an old piece of board or chipboard or something and have a go before you start on any furniture or anything else. That is how I started ;)

#13 housedoc

housedoc

Devoted Member

• Concept Factory
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi all - well it has been such a long time since I posted any of my hand painted furniture - due to not many people on here - so hopefully now we can begin to get Arttrade back with some of the 'oldies' and some 'newbies'! :nono:

Because it's been such a long time - hope you will bear with me of getting of photos on here - hopefully I won't have too much of a problem!

Would love to hear the thoughts/critique etc on here of anyone who has the time to comment.

Well, that was shortlived - unfortunately I cannot see how to attach some photos - therefore can you please assist me Deco/Neo?

#14 Deco

Deco

ARTTRADE.NET

• Admin
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Forum software was updated recently to the latest version so there are some minor changes
in the way the images can be posted. For detailed info on How to use the forum software you can check
the forum Help section (under thread Posting):
http://arttrade.net/...ore&module=help

Please find below some quick steps:

Go to Reply to this topic box on the very bottom right click on More reply options, a bigger Reply window opens,
on the very bottom left you'll see Attach Files,
Choose a file from your computer (max image size 700kb)
Click on browse,
Click on Attach this file (small button under the browse field)
You'll see in a small field the image uploaded,
Choose a place for the image in the post by clicking with the mouse on the chosen place in the text,
In the small field where you see the image under the reply box on very right you'll see button Add to post
Click on Add to post,
Then finally click on the Reply button

Hope that helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement